Skip to content
Static vs Dynamic
- Purpose of database-driven sites.
- Advantages and disadvantages of CMS.
- Other Content Management Systems
Thinking Inside the Box
- WordPress server requirements (PHP, MySQL)
- Choosing a host.
- Apache vs IIS servers.
- Host Control Panels
- Security, upgrading, user management (roles), spam.
Primacy vs Legacy
- Building WordPress up from scratch in the root directory.
- Building WordPress in a subdirectory and redirecting on completion.
- Building in a subdirectory and integrating with existing site.
- Replacing a site, handling redirects
Theme vs Us
- What’s in a theme?
- Not all themes are created equal
- Customizing / expanding a theme
The Famous 5-minute install
- Precusor steps: set up database and database user
- Get the source files from WordPress.org
- Prepare the wp-config.php file
- Upload (got FTP?)
- Step 1 and you’re done
- When it doesn’t go right
Now That It’s Running
- Options:General – setting the basics
- Options: Writing – Posts vs Pages
- Options: Reading – Static Home Page vs Blog
- Options: Discussion – Comments and Moderation
- Permalinks – What and Why
- Presentation – Basic Widget Setup
Your First Post (or Page)
- Definition of Post vs Page – why
- Categories vs Parent Pages
- Profile choice – Visual vs Code editor
- TinyMCE – Meet your editor
- Slugs and other tasty things
- Post/Page Status
Plug it in, plug it in
- What’s a plug-in?
- Pros and Cons.
- Care and feeding.
- When plug-ins go bad.
- Happy plug-in family.
- Plug-ins and their widgets.
- A few of my favorites – and why.
Q & A